Напишите следующие существительные в единственном числе:
forms, duties, sportsmen, feet.
Перепишите предложения и переведите их. Подчеркните существительные в притяжательном падеже:
1. Her sister's friends prefer cola to beer.
2. Jane often uses her brother's things.
3. Mr. and Ms. Brown's children do not often come to see them.
Поставьте в скобках личные местоимения. Перепишите и переведите предложения:
1. Does (она) like to read?
2. (Мы) go to the office by tram.
3. (Они) do not usually ask a lot of questions.
Поставьте в скобках притяжательные местоимения. Перепишите и переведите предложения:
1. Alice sometimes gives us (ее) journals to look through.
2. As a rule, they spend (свое) free time in the country.
3. Please, tell us about (вашем) trip to India.
4. Jack takes (свою) dog out three times a day.
Перепишите и переведите предложения, подчеркните неопределенные и отрицательные местоимения:
1. Do you have any brothers or sisters?
2. Pass me, please, some cake.
3. We do not have any problems with our study.
4. Nobody knows him.
Перепишите и переведите следующие предложения, помните, как переводится группа существительных на русский язык:
1. Some times a year our newspaper conducts an opinion poll.
2. Tribunals deal with professional standards, disputes between individuals and disputes between individuals and government departments.
3. There are 50 different registration laws in the USA-one law for each state.
Перепишите предложения. Укажите, какую функцию выполняет -s:
1. глагол в 3-м лице ед. ч. настоящего времени;
2. существительное во множественном числе;
3. существительное в притяжательном падеже.
1. Paul helps his groupmates with English.
2. Betty's father sometimes plays chess with my grandfather.
3. My best friend and I like to have a cup of coffee and some ice-cream in a cafe.
Перепишите следующие предложения, содержащие разные формы сравнения, и переведите их на русский язык:
1. The cottage where my cousins live now is more beautiful and comfortable than their old house.
2. The article is as difficult as the preface to it.
3. The more you practice in English, the better you know it.
4. Mr. Johnson is not so experienced in driving as his wife is.
Перепишите и переведите предложения, обращая внимание на конструкцию there is /are:
1. There is a two-party system in the USA
2. There are about 50,000 solicitors in England and Wales and they make up the largest branch of the legal profession.
3. Is there any separate training for judges in England?
Подчеркните глагол to be в соответствующей форме. Перепишите и переведите предложения:
1. England is unique as it has two different kinds of lawyers, with separate jobs in the legal system.
2. The functions of Parliament are to make laws, to provide money for the government, to debate political questions and to examine government policy.
3. The main role of the Privy Council is to advise the monarch on a range of questions, like the resolution of constitutional issues and the approval of Orders in Council.
4. The Queen and her family are a symbol of the country.
5. Independence Day is one of the most important patriotic holidays in the United States of America.
Перепишите предложения, подчеркните глагол-сказуемое в настоящем времени, переведите предложения:
1. The Constitution limits the federal government to specific powers.
2. Barristers do not have public offices in any street.
3. Individuals fall under the jurisdiction of two different court systems, their state courts and federal courts.
4. To appeal means to take a case to a higher court.
5. The House of Lords consists of the Lords Temporal and the Lords Spiritual.
6. Many members of the Royal Family undertake official duties in Britain and abroad.
Образуйте прошедшее время:
1. от стандартных глаголов
to represent; to conduct; to remove; to limit;
2. от нестандартных глаголов
to undertake; to have; to find; to keep.
Перепишите предложения, переведите их. Подчеркните глагол-сказуемое в прошедшем времени:
1. In 1776, the thirteen weak British colonies in America came together.
2. The former colonies, now «the United of America», first operated under the agreement called the Articles of Confederation.
3. The Constitution provided for three main branches of government which were separate and distinct from one another.
Перепишите и переведите предложения, подчеркните глагол-сказуемое в будущем времени:
1. In about 70 per cent of legislative decisions, Congressmen will vote with the specific wishes of their constituencies in mird in spite of their own point of view.
2. Next year Parliament will pass about a hundred laws directly, that is it will make Acts of Parliament.
3. Soon the number of lawyers in the United States will exceed 675,000.
Перепишите следующие предложения. Найдите сказуемое, определите время глаголов и укажите их инфинитив. Переведите предложения на русский язык:
1. Gary Smith yesterday celebrated his 18th birthday.
2. A lady from a travel agency helped us choose a nice house.
3. They prefer swimming in a swimming pool all day.
4. James sat in his armchair and thought about the day.
5. The rent includes gas and electricity.
6. Perhaps, I'll get my cheque today.
7. On Wednesday we did not discuss the article because we had too little time for it
8. A few years ago the main industries in England were ship building and coalmining.
9. There is not a cathedral in this street.
10. These clothes come from Marks & Spencer.
Перепишите и переведите предложения, подчеркните союзы и союзные слова:
1. This is the house which we bought about five years ago.
2. We all know that the Earth is a planet.
3. If we have some money, we will go shopping.
4. Peter will do well as he works much.
Переведите следующие слова, обращая внимание на суффиксы и приставки (подчеркните их):
1. to create - creation - creative;
2. to construct - constructive - constructor - constructional;
3. to build - building - builder,
4. to consult - consultant - consultation - consultative;
5. to work - worker;
6. to find - finder;
7. to agree - disagree;
8. seam - seamy - seamless;
9. to develop - development.
Перепишите и письменно переведите текст «Соединенные Штаты Америки». Выучите слова:
1. state - штат;
2. executive - исполнительный;
3. government - правительство, управление;
4. to legislate - издавать законы;
5. law - закон;
6. legislative - законодательный;
7. to execute - исполнять;
8. judicial - судебный;
9. branch - отрасль, ветвь.
THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
The USA is located in the central part of North America. Its area is 9,363,200 square kilometers. The population of the USA is over 228 million.
The United States is a Federal Union of 50 states. The President is the head of the government He forms the government.
The Constitution is the basic law. It defines the structure and the method of national government and lists its rights and fields of authority (власть).
According to the Constitution the three main branches of the USA government are the executive, the legislative and the judicial.
The executive branch includes the President, Vice-President, and the Presidents' Cabinet.
The function of the executive branch is to administrate and execute the law. Every four years the America people elect the President. But they may re-elect their President for another term of four years.
The function of the Cabinet is to advise the President on any affair he wishes such advice. The Cabinet consists of the heads of the thirteen executive departments - the Secretary of State, the Secretary of Treasury (финансы), the Secretary of Defence and all the rest.
The legislative branch of the government is the Congress. It consists of the Senate and the House of Representatives.
The senate consists of 100 members, two from each of the 50 members. The House of Representatives consists of 435 members. The population of each state determines the number of members.
The function of the Congress is to make laws and to finance the operation of the government.
The Supreme Court is the highest judicial organ of the United States and the head of the judicial branch.
The major political parties in the United States are the Democratic Party and the Republican Party. This two-party system practically dominates the political life of the country.